Sunday, November 2, 2014

Intolerance Food of the Gods: Super Cheesy Pizza

So, for those of you who don't know, I have food intolerances, the worst offenders being yeast, milk, sugar, anything cultured/fungal, nightshades and spices. As you can imagine, this creates many difficulties in eating. I have discovered, however, the greatest trick to getting around this is substitution: soy and goat products instead of dairy, baking soda instead of yeast, and just avoid the cultures, fungi, and nightshades. I have decided to share some of my methods for substitution on the basis it might help others with food issues. Also, some of the substitutions make for very yummy dishes. Now, on to pizza!

I haven't yet found anything which can truly replace tomatoes, so when I say this is a cheesy pizza, I really mean it. My last housemate gave me her recipe for making a cheese sauce, and I substituted and now can have yummy cheese sauce! Let's start with the base though:


The recipe for the base comes from this site: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/u097r22f/yeast-free-pizza-dough.html. I used soy milk instead of regular (for the love of your taste buds, be very careful of heating goat's milk, because it is very often vile when heated). Use whichever oil you like best. This time I used self-raising flour as I was out of plain, and didn't include any baking powder. You may notice my base looks spotty. I like to put oregano into my pizza base, to give it an extra kick. My conversion may have been wrong, but I seemed to have needed twice the amount of milk asked for by the recipe to make it nice and moist. Two good tips for the base: when it says 'oiled baking sheet', I suggest you use your fingers to spread a small amount of oil all over the sheet, because otherwise you have a mess. The other tip is to take your time spreading it out, and make sure you have a nice big ridge around the edge.



For the sauce, I don't have exact measurements, I'm afraid. I chopped up one rasher (unsmoked in this case, but any will do) and fried it until it was starting to brown up nicely. Then I took a dollop of goat's cheese (Lidl has amazing soft goat's cheese and slices for a very good price, so I highly recommend those) and melted it over the bacon. Once that was melted, I added milk (be generous with it, you need to fully cover the base), just over a tablespoon of flour, some more oregano, and let it thicken. As you can see from the picture, I also slopped it over the handle. After that, I poured it over the base and set to the toppings.



I added smoked ham and beef, and broke up some of the goat's cheese slices to cover it. Like any pizza, you can make this vegetarian. I've been trying to think of veggies to add, but as peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms are all out for me, it's difficult to think of anything other than spinach. Suggestions are welcome!


Half an hour in the oven later, and voilĂ ! Pizza for those of us who can't handle yeast, dairy, or tomatoes! Delicious and very quick to make (especially the sauce), and, of course, easy to customise.

If anyone has any recipes they'd like me to customise, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment