Thursday, October 30, 2014

What I Really Want to See #1: The Warrens

This is the first in a new series of posts about things I would really like to see in my favourite media, which I think would be amazing and wonderful projects. In this post, it is the TV show which I feel should be made out of The Conjuring, to be named The Warrens.

For those who haven't seen it, The Conjuring is a beautifully timed haunting story, in which a vindictive ghost torments the unwitting family which moves into her old home. Pretty familiar fare. I find this is sometimes a problem with this type of horror story, because there is very little variety in the format (I find ghosts, like fictional serial killers, often have limited motivations and thus can be a little boring).

So, what makes this different? The Conjuring is based on a true case handled by a couple called Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were supernatural investigators, who apparently investigated over 10,000 cases during their career. Lorraine was a clairvoyant, while Ed was a demonologist. This couple, to my mind, were the most interesting part of the film for two reasons. First, they are shown investigating a supposed haunting and actually finding the problem is in the pipes. So they are intelligent, capable people. Secondly, they have a collection of possessed items in a locked room in their home (which I can't help but describe as a demonic Warehouse 13).

10,000 cases. A collection of possessed items and (presumably) a love story. This would make an epic television series. Picture it: in the opening we see their first encounters with the supernatural. Then it cuts to their first meeting (I have no idea of how this went, but I like to imagine they found themselves working on the same case, and decided to team up). There are so many things which can happen. Why did they start the collection, and why keep it in their home (in The Conjuring, Ed says they get a priest to bless the room regularly)? How did they make the decision to be so public about what they did? And how, exactly, do you manage any kind of a normal life when your everyday life involves ghosts, demons, and possessions?

Now, as with most television shows, it would veer away from real life, but the potential is there and wonderful, considering one of their books is about how they exorcised a werewolf demon. Consider it like Supernatural, but with a married couple and probably a bit more reserved.

It could happen, I think. Certainly Lorraine Warren seems eager for the work of her and her late husband to be known, so I think she'd be on board. And if it's as beautifully paced as The Conjuring (if you've seen it, you know the bit with the sheet is damned terrifying), then it would be a pleasure to watch regularly.

In the meantime, there is Annabelle, a movie based around the haunted doll from The Conjuring. I'm still holding out hope for the television debut of The Warrens, though (I'm open to suggestions on a better name).


Edited to add: For the record, I take an agnostic view of the supernatural. If it ever happens in front of me, I'll be sure to believe in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment