Friday, January 13, 2012

Charity Shops

I have taken to asking my Trusty Companion to give me random ideas to blog about. So today she has suggested I talk about charity shops.

I work surrounded by such shops, and there are any number of others on my route home. Which, I have discovered, is amazing, because there are so many books! And so very cheap! Which does not help my ever exploding bookshelves, but certainly leaves me feeling pleased with myself and my sensible spending. The best thing? Hiding in charity bookshops all over the city are first edition science fiction anthologies that may not be worth much, but are ridiculously awesome to own. You can find pretty little volumes of the classics as well, and if you are stuck doing a course which requires you to read a book you hate (such as certain chicklit was for me), then if you buy them from charity shops, you end up not having spent a tenner on something you hate and hey, you've helped a worthy cause too!

Though I think my best ever purchase from a charity shop was not a book, but rather my little japanese teapot, with three adorable little cups, which added up to less than 3 euro. And I love it completely!

My Trusty Companion tells me that her best buy was a miniature marble teacup and saucer for €2.50. She may have won this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment